- The most memorable thing about the 90s was how the Internet and cable TV became mainstream. At that time, it was unbelievable to see so much by doing so little. We take it for granted now but back then, it was sweet. I think the people who are now in their mid to late 20s are lucky enough to be at the precipice of a new world.
- I bought my computer with my own blood, sweat, tears and money during the mid-90s around 4th year high school. It cost 65000 PHP at that time. That was a lot of money at that time! Guess what is in it? Pentium III 550 MHz, 128MB RAM, 20GB hard disk, 32X CDROM, a Creative Soundblaster!, a motherboard from some Taiwanese company (whose capacitors blew up after a year) having three USB 1.1 ports (no USB 2.0 yet!), NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 graphics card, a 15 inch monitor (which had a factory defect) and an Epson Stylus 640 printer. Now it costs much less than 10000 PHP to buy the same items (if they still exist). Even then, it only took a small amount of time to reduce the value of my purchase. It was amazing and at the same time heartbreaking to see blood, sweat, tears and money go down the drain.
- Flash was just starting at this time. It used to be a Macromedia product. Adobe Reader 3 was fast at this time.
- I used to recompile the Linux kernel to get my sound card to work. My first Linux was Red Hat 5.2. Back then, a black screen with a command prompt is all you need. Who could forget rm -rf /? One command to destroy everything if you are root. KDE 2.0 was just introduced. Very ugly but fast. Now it is less ugly but bloated. Take your pick.
- Back then the craze was to emulate Mac style designs for window managers and (who could forget?) themes! So much fuss about fonts, wallpapers, cool screensavers (remember the aquarium type screensavers?) and sound effects.
- The 90s was also the time when cable TV is more popular. There is no such thing as pay-per-view yet. In fact, my favorite Chinese channel, Star Movies, broadcasted a lot of softcore porn (e.g. the stupid yet funny sometimes arousing Erotic Ghost Story series) around midnight. Tell me, isn’t this memorable? WOWOW (If you do not know what this channel is, there is an 80% chance you are lying.) was available a little bit later but was scrambled shortly after. There was also this channel where European softcore porn is broadcasted. I think I watched the Emmanuelle series. Not too bad. But then Gloria Arroyo (I think) had to ruin the lives of teenagers everywhere. Now you resort to internet porn but back then 33.6 kbps was the norm (remember the annoying ring of the modem?). Some channels became pay-per-view as a result. Now some programs back home are being censored (cleavage sometimes gets blurred, come on!).
- Finally, who could forget Final Fantasy?